What is Hepatitis B?
- Your doctor may ask you to take a detailed blood test to know your condition. In addition, he will check your liver function.
- You should avoid alcohol as it could cause further damage to your liver.
- Other household contacts and especially your partner will also be screened for Hepatitis B if their statuses are unknown. If they have no Hepatitis B, they will be advised to take the Hepatitis B vaccination.
- Your baby will be given 2 shots after delivery. Hepatitis B immune globulin (HbIG) and vaccination for Hepatitis B (which is routine anyway) after delivery.
- You will need to be followed up regularly on a long term basis to monitor your liver function. Chronic hepatitis B carriers have a risk of developing liver failure and cancer of the liver.
How did I get Hepatitis B?
- At birth if your mother is a carrier. This is called ‘vertical transmission’.
- Sexual intercourse with a carrier.
- Sharing needle or needle stick injury contaminated with blood from a carrier.
- Sharing toothbrush or razor which is contaminated with from a carrier.
- Body piercing or tattoo at a place where good health practice is not done.
- Organ transplantation
- Blood transfusion
- Mild flu-like illness
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the right upper abdomen.
- Your skin or eyes becomes yellow (jaundice)
- However, approximately a third of patients have no symptoms
- If you contracted Hepatitis B infection during the third trimester of your pregnancy, there is a risk 80 – 90% of transmitting the disease to your baby.
- If your baby received both Hep B immunoglobulin (HbIG) and vaccination within 12 hours delivery, there is more than 90% chance of your baby being protected
[easyazon-image align=”none” asin=”1583331883″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ifRasERQL._SL160_.jpg” width=”106″] [easyazon-image align=”none” asin=”1452010331″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410LdvakHtL._SL160_.jpg” width=”107″] [easyazon-image align=”none” asin=”1561487171″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AyhH3XGkL._SL160_.jpg” width=”107 ] [easyazon-image align=”none” asin=”1440528519″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K8MM96Y7L._SL160_.jpg” width=”138″]