If you are married with no kids, whether you have been married for years or are newlyweds, you would have been asked the “When are you going to have kids?” question at least once or twice in your married life.
No doubt this question may come from well intentioned friends and family. Nevertheless, you may become frustrated if this seems to be the go-to question to you and your spouse at any family gatherings, weddings, reunion dinners and so forth. And if it comes from someone you don’t know very well and has no business asking you something so personal, it can also make for a very awkward and uncomfortable conversation.
Don’t fret though. Below we have compiled a list of answers that you can use in responding to this dreaded question. While we can’t guarantee that it would not make an awkward situation worst, we can assure you that these responses may prevent them from asking you this question again.
- Well… we actually haven’t had sex in a while because we’ve been pretty busy and stressed out. How’s your sex life?
- We are just doing a lot of “practice” right now.. but as soon as we get to the real thing, you will be the first to know.
- When we are rich and famous.
- We haven’t won the lottery yet.. so we can’t afford a baby till we do.
- I’m so glad you brought that up! I’m having fertility issues. What do you want to talk about first? My uterine lining or my husband’s sperm count?
- We’ve decided to have cats or dogs instead. At least they won’t talk back to us when they grow up.
- When the condom breaks or when the pills stop working.. whichever one first.
- When the storks come to our house silly! Didn’t you learn anything in science class in school?
- We will get right on to it, as soon as you can clear your night time schedule to come and nurse and feed the baby.
There you have it. Indeed some of these answers may be not suitable in a dinner conversation but it would help you to turn an otherwise frustrating situation into something fun. Now let’s see how they respond to that.